- Collars or Harnesses for Small Dogs
- Criteria for the Best Small Dog Harness
- How To Measure Your Dog for a Harness
- Top 10 Best Harnesses for Small Dogs and Toy Breeds
- 1. Voyager All-Weather No-Pull Step-In Padded Vest Dog Harness
- 2. EcoBark Max Comfort and Control Dog Harness
- 3. Kurgo Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Crash-Tested Dog Car Harness
- 4. PAWABOO Dog Safety Vest Harness with Car Seat Belt Clip
- 5. Comfort Fit Metric USA No-Pull Small Dog Harness
- 6. Puppia Authentic RiteFit Harness
- 7. EzyDog Quick Fit Adjustable Dog Harness
- 8. RUFFWEAR Web Master Harness
- 9. Pawtitas Pet Reflective Step-In Dog Harness
- 10. Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness
- How to Use a Dog Harnesses
At K9deb.com, we’ve constructed a useful guide for finding the best harness for your small dog or another toy breed. You will discover high-quality harnesses that are fully adjustable around the neck and chest. They are soft, lightweight, and comfortable for a perfect fit for your dog. We love the no-pull design that does not choke your dog. Each harness is well-made, waterproof, and machine washable.
The sizes of the harnesses range from extra small (for Chihuahuas and Teacup Yorkshire Terriers – the smallest dog breeds) to miniature harnesses (for Dachshunds) to small dog harnesses (for Maltese, Pomeranians, Toy Poodles, and Yorkshire Terriers).
Quickly check out the best harnesses for small dogs on the comparison table below:
|Brands||Adjustable||Leash Attachment||Read Reviews|
|Voyager Dog Harness by Best Pet Supplies, Inc.||No||Back Leash|
|EcoBark Dog Harness||Yes||Back Leash|
|Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash-Tested Dog Car Harness||Yes||Both Front and Back Leash|
|PAWABOO Dog Safety Harness||Yes||Back Leash|
|Comfort Fit Metric USA Small Dog Harness||No||Back Leash|
|Puppia Authentic RiteFit Harness||Yes||Back Leash|
|EzyDog Quick Fit Adjustable Dog Harness||Yes||Back Leash|
|RUFFWEAR Web Master Dog Harness||Yes||Both Front and Back Leash|
|Pawtitas Dog Harness||Yes||Back Leash|
|Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness||Yes||Both Front and Back Leash|
Read more: Top 10 Best Dog Harnesses for Large dogs
Collars or Harnesses for Small Dogs
Many small dog owners prefer to use a harness instead of a collar. (Small dogs can’t pull that hard, they’re small!) Well, yes, but small dogs can develop problems with their trachea (often a collapsing trachea) from wearing a collar. (Also, some small dogs can be surprisingly strong!) A harness focuses the pressure point on the chest, which is more muscular than the neck.
And just like any other dog, a small dog can slip out of a collar rather easily. Especially if their head is smaller than their neck. All they have to do is brace their feet and the collar could slip over their ears.
While it may not be true in all cases, many small breed dogs lack proper training as compared to large breed dogs. A small breed jumping on someone is much less terrifying than a large breed jumping on someone – and probably knocking them over. Therefore, some owners feel they don’t need to train their dog as much. They just use a harness and pull the dog away from a person as needed.
Criteria for the Best Small Dog Harness
We look for specific features in a harness to determine if it can be considered one of the best for small dogs.
– Soft, lightweight, comfortable, well-fitted, mesh material: If your dog is going to wear the harness often, it is best if the harness fits well and is comfortable. Choose a material – like mesh – that is breathable, soft, and lightweight.
– Easy to put on and take off: For your sake, first of all. Nobody wants a complicated harness because they’ll be dissuaded to use it. And for your dog’s sake, second of all. Especially if your dog is body sensitive. Some harnesses go on over the head while others are the step-in style. Over-the-head seems to be more common, but you will have to choose the option that best suits your dog’s comfort.
Comparison of Step-In Harness vs. Over-the-Head Harness:
|Items||Step-In Harness||Over-the-Head Harness|
|Description||Step-in harnesses are shaped like a figure 8 and require your dog to literally step into them.||Over-head harnesses slip over the head of your dog and secure around the torso.|
|Cons||Less secure on a dog who pulls hard on the leash since there is no substantial strap laying across the chest.||More difficult to put on an excited or fearful dog.|
– Fully adjustable: For the best fit for your dog, you want a harness that is fully adjustable around the neck and chest. A customizable fit keeps your dog comfortable while preventing him from slipping out of the harness.
– Choke-free: The whole purpose of a small dog wearing a harness is to prevent trachea issues. Choose a harness with a chest strap that sits low enough that it doesn’t strain the neck.
– Durability: We’re guessing you don’t want to buy a new harness every year because they keep wearing out. A harness made of heavy-duty nylon is usually a good choice (with some mesh pieces for comfort). Waterproof coating on the harness is a plus so the harness doesn’t deteriorate from lousy weather. And machine wash capabilities make your life a lot easier if you can just toss it in with the wash.
How To Measure Your Dog for a Harness
Just because your dog is small to you does not mean he will wear a size small harness. Take measurements of your dog’s neck and chest girth. Use these numbers to choose the size that will fit him.
To measure your dog’s neck, find the base of the neck where it meets his shoulders. You can use a measuring tape to get the measurement of his neck. Make sure the measuring tape is snug – not hanging loose – but not too tight. If you can fit 2 fingers under the measuring tape comfortably, it’s tight enough.
To measure your dog’s chest girth, begin with your measuring tape on his spine right behind his shoulders. Measure down to his belly and back up the other side of his ribs until the measuring tape is back at his spine where you began. Make sure the measuring tape is snug – not hanging loose – but not too tight. If you can fit 2 fingers under the measuring tape comfortably, it’s tight enough.
Dog Harness Sizing Chart
Check the table below to find the appropriate size for the perfect fit harness:
|Size||Neck Girth||Chest Girth||Weight||Dog Types|
|XX-Small||7.5-9''||8.5-12''||Up to 5 lbs.||Chihuahua, Teacup Yorkshire Terrier|
|X-Small||9-13''||12-18''||5-10 lbs.||Dachshund (miniature), Maltese, Pomeranian, Toy Poodle, Yorkshire Terrier|
|Small||12-20''||16-22''||10-25 lbs.||Cavalier King Charles, Pekingese, Miniature Schnauzer, Pug, Scottish Terrier|
|Medium||16-25''||18-28''||Up to 55 lbs.||Beagle, Border Collie, Boston Terrier, English Bulldog, French Bulldog|
|Large||18-30''||24-34''||Up to 75 lbs.||Boxer, Dalmatian, Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Weimaraner|
|X-Large||24-35''||28-44''||75+ lbs.||Bernese Mountain Dog, Great Dane, Mastiff, Rottweiler, Saint Bernard|
Top 10 Best Harnesses for Small Dogs and Toy Breeds
1. Voyager All-Weather No-Pull Step-In Padded Vest Dog Harness
The Voyager Dog Harness by Best Pet Supplies, Inc. is simple and easy to use. Your dog will be comfortable no matter what season or weather conditions. With soft, breathable mesh, the lightweight harness breathes easily and allows moisture to evaporate from your pet’s fur. Your dog will be dry and cool on all his walks and play times. The mesh is gentle on your dog’s skin. The slightly stretchy material hugs your dog’s torso. He will be secure and safe, even if he pulls on the leash. With a fuzzy fastener closure and quick release buckle, you will be able to adjust the harness as needed and attach a leash to the 2 D-rings. The Voyager Dog Harness is available in 5 sizes to perfectly fit your pup.
- Made with high-quality mesh material that forms to your dog’s torso but is light and sturdy for a secure fit.
- Breathable mesh lets air flow to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable.
- The step-in style is perfect for dogs who fear having collars and harnesses put over their heads.
- The two D-rings allow you to attach a leash easily.
- The harness is fully adjustable for a perfect fit that prevents your dog from slipping out of it.
|Size||Neck Girth||Chest Girth|
|X-Small||8''||13 - 14.5''|
|Small||9.5''||14.5 - 17''|
|Medium||11''||16 - 18''|
|Large||12.5''||18 - 21''|
|X-Large||15''||21 - 23''|
2. EcoBark Max Comfort and Control Dog Harness
The EcoBark Dog Harness features a no-pull and no-choke design to keep your dog comfortable and safe without straining your arms or hands while you walk. The padded vest provides extra comfort if your dog were to pull on the leash while the breathable mesh lets his fur dry quickly if he were to get wet. Anti-rub technology with a custom-stitched cover design protects your dog from skin irritations due to the strap rubbing against their leg. The harness is also environmentally-friendly with recycled straps that are highly durable. Your dog will be quite safe in this harness with the highest Standard of Specialized Safety Buckle which is custom built to ensure strength and long-lasting safety.
- No-pull and no-choke design with breathable mesh, padding, and anti-rub technology for maximum comfort.
- Environmentally-aware engineering with straps made of recycled materials. Recycled water bottles are also incorporated into the harnesses.
- Standard of Specialized Safety Buckle with 2 D-rings for maximum long-lasting safety.
- Double-layered mesh is stronger than the typical harness yet breathable to keep fur dry.
- Available in 9 fun colors to match your dog’s personality!
|Size||Neck Girth||Chest Girth|
|X-Small||7.5''||9 - 13''|
|Small||9.8''||12 - 18''|
|Medium||12.5'||14 - 21''|
|Large||14''||19 - 29''|
|X-Large||15.7''||21 - 32''|
3. Kurgo Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Crash-Tested Dog Car Harness
The Kurgo Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Dog Car Harness by as the most broadly sold crash tested car harness for dogs. All harnesses are tested at Calspan’s Buffalo, New York crash test facility which is the same location that maintains Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 213 for Child Restraint Systems. The harness has 5 adjustment points for a perfect fit and a no-pull D-ring to train your dog to walk by your side. The harness comes with a car tether and features a broad, padded chest plate for protection and comfort. The car tether is compatible with any seat belt system. The product comes with a hassle-free Kurgo Lifetime Warranty against any manufacturer defects.
- Crash-tested for dogs up to 75 pounds. Padded chest plate for added protection.
- No-pull front leash attachment as well as a back leash attachment.
- Doubles as car harness as well as a walking harness.
- 5 adjustment points for a perfect fit for any dog. The perfect fit ensures security while walking, running, playing, and riding in the car.
- Included dog car seat belt that is compatible with any seat belt system.
- Lifetime warranty with Kurgo against manufacturer defects.
|Size||Neck Girth||Chest Girth|
|X-Small||9 - 13''||12 - 18''|
|Small||12 - 20''||16 - 22''|
|Medium||16 - 25''||18 - 28''|
|Large||18 - 30''||24 - 34''|
|X-Large||24 - 35''||28 - 44''|
4. PAWABOO Dog Safety Vest Harness with Car Seat Belt Clip
The Dog Safety Vest Harness with Car Seat Belt Clip by PAWABOO doubles as a car safety harness as well as an everyday walking harness. The harness is made of oxford fabric and 100% Polyester, which is durable, lightweight, and soft. The simple design makes it easy to put on and take off with a broad sponge padded chest plate for extra protection and comfort. The industry standard premium stainless steel snap hook is electroplated for durability and abrasion resistance for greater durability over years of use. The vest harness connects to seat belts with the seat belt attachment loop hook for quick and easy safety while keeping your dog secure. The only vehicles the seat belt clip is not compatible with is the Kia Niro, 2011 Jeep Wrangler, and 2013 Honda Pilot.
- Doubles as car safety belt and everyday walking harness without any choking feeling.
- The 100% polyester material is soft, lightweight, and durable. Dogs are comfortable in the harness and don’t mind wearing it all day.
- The broad sponge padded chest plate provides extra protection in the case of a vehicle accident. It also protects your dog’s chest if he pulls hard on the leash while walking.
- High-grade stainless steel fights against abrasion for years of use.
- Seat belt clip is compatible with nearly all vehicles.
|Size||Neck Girth||Chest Girth|
|Small||8.2 - 10.6''||15.3 - 17.7''|
|Medium||10.2 - 14.5''||17 - 20.5''|
|Large||13.5 - 19''||12 - 24''|
|X-Large||17 - 23''||25 - 32''|
5. Comfort Fit Metric USA No-Pull Small Dog Harness
The No-Pull Small Dog Harness by Comfort Fit Metric USA is the solution to uncomfortable dog harnesses and escape artist pups. The No-Pull harness is soft and comfortable with an easy-to-put-on style and a quick release clip. With 2 reinforced D-rings that lock securely, your dog will not be slipping out and escaping. At a mere 2 ounces, your dog won’t even realize he is wearing it! And with 6 fun colors to choose from, you can find the color that best fits your dog’s personality.
- No-pull design to keep your dog under control without any strain on your hands or arms.
- Comfortable and lightweight so your dog will not realize he is wearing the 2-ounce harness. Made with Metric 66 material that hugs your dog’s body while reducing his stress and tension.
- Padded areas in the harness decrease strain on the lower neck and trachea caused by pulling on the leash.
- Quick release clip with 2 D-rings for security while walking your dog.
- Lifetime guarantee from Comfort Fit Metric, USA.
|XX-Small||9 - 11''|
|X-Small||12 - 14''|
|Small||15 - 17''|
|Medium||18 - 21''|
|Large||19 - 25''|
Note: Not to be used for dogs over 25 lbs.
6. Puppia Authentic RiteFit Harness
The Authentic RiteFit Harness by Puppia features both an adjustable neck as well as an adjustable chest belt for a perfect fit for dogs who are in between sizes. The soft harness is made of breathable mesh material that allows air and moisture to flow through the harness and away from your dog’s body. Even in wet weather, your dog will dry quickly and stay comfortable. Two double-coated D-rings on the back of the harness allows versatility when attaching the leash. Quick release buckles make it easy to put on and take off with the harness’s over-the-head style.
- Two adjustment points at the neck and chest. Dogs who are in between sizes should wear the larger size and adjust the harness to make it smaller.
- Breathable mesh to repel water as well as let air flow through the material.
- Two double-coated D-rings on the back of the harness.
- Quick release buckle for easy on and off, ideal for dogs who are body sensitive.
|Size||Neck Girth||Chest Girth|
|Small||9.5 - 11.5''||13 - 19''|
|Medium||11.5 - 14''||15 - 22''|
|Large||13 - 16''||19.5 - 29.5''|
|X-Large||16 - 19''||21.5 - 31.5''|
7. EzyDog Quick Fit Adjustable Dog Harness
The Quick Fit Dog Harness by EzyDog goes on and off efficiently with the one-click fit system. Your dog won’t get stressed out by having a harness put over his head and fussed with while you try to fasten multiple buckles. Your dog will stay comfortable and won’t mind wearing the harness all day with the neoprene padded chest sleeve that is waterproof. And for peace of mind, the harness is designed with reflective stitching throughout for higher visibility at night. The stainless steel ring is a secure anchor for leashes that ensures your dog will not slip away from you. Additionally, an ID clip securely holds your dog’s ID tags. You can even add a matching custom ID tag!
- Quick fit one-click system allows for easy on and off so dogs don’t get stressed by a harness being fussed with on their bodies.
- The neoprene chest strap is waterproof and comfortable so dogs won’t mind wearing the harness all day.
- Reflective stitching throughout the harness gives increased visibility in low light conditions.
- Stainless steel ring securely holds the leash.
- ID clip holds tags for identification.
|Size||Neck Girth||Chest Girth|
|XX-Small||9 - 15''||12 - 15''|
|X-Small||11 - 18''||15 - 18''|
|Small||14 - 22''||18 - 21.5''|
|Medium||16 - 27''||21.5 - 26.5''|
|Large||18 - 31''||26.5 - 33''|
|X-Large||21 - 36''||33 - 42''|
8. RUFFWEAR Web Master Harness
The Web Master Harness by RUFFWEAR has all the essential features. A lightweight aluminum leash attachment point that doesn’t weigh down your small breed. A durable webbing loop for poop bags or ID tags. 5 adjustment points for a customized fit that won’t let your dog slip out of the harness. Padded straps for comfortable extended wear that will let your dog walk in the harness all day. Reflective trim for increased visibility at night. Even a padded handle for assisting your little pup over obstacles.
- Durable harness with full range of motion for walking, hiking, running, and climbing. Handle built in for lifting small dog breeds over obstacles.
- Adjustable shoulder, chest, and belly straps for a customized fit that your dog won’t be able to slip out of.
- 2 leash attachment points with a strong yet lightweight aluminum V-ring on top and a webbing loop at the back.
- Reflective trim for increased visibility in low-light conditions.
- Sturdy yet lightweight nylon material with woven straps adapted from mountaineering technology.
|XX-Small||13 - 17''|
|X-Small||17 - 22''|
|Small||22 - 27''|
|Medium||27 - 32''|
|Large||32 - 42''|
9. Pawtitas Pet Reflective Step-In Dog Harness
The Step-In Dog Harness by Pawtitas is an ideal harness for small breeds such as Pomeranian, Yorkie, Shih Tzu, Chihuahua, Maltese, and Miniature Pinscher. If your small dog is fearful of having harnesses or collars put over his head, this step-in style harness is perfect. Just lay it on the ground, put his front feet through the loops, and it fits up over the shoulders. With reflective stitching gives your dog extra visibility at night to keep him safe from traffic. The ergonomic design makes it easy for your dog to walk, run, and play all day.
- Step-in style harness for dogs who are fearful of collars or generally body sensitive.
- Ideal for small breed dogs such as Pomeranians and Miniature Pinschers.
- Reflective stitching for better visibility at night.
- Ergonomic design for easy walking, running, and playing in comfort all day.
- Mix & match leash sets!
|X-Small||11 - 15.5''|
|Small||16 - 22''|
|Medium||20 - 28.5''|
|Large||24 - 33''|
10. Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness
The No-Pull Dog Harness by Rabbitgoo is fully adjustable at the neck and chest for an ideal fit that hugs your dog’s torso without feeling restrictive. The front leash connection point steers your dog in a circle if he pulls on the leash, thus teaching him to walk by your side. And evenly distributed pulling pressure prevents pulling as well as choking or damaging the trachea. The material is thick and durable yet soft and padded underneath a lightweight mesh lining for ultimate comfort. Quick snap buckles let you put the harness on your dog quickly and easily, without stressing them out. 2 leash attachment points on the back and on the chest are made of sturdy metal.
- 100% quality warranty. Harnesses are replaceable or refundable if there are any quality-related issues.
- Reflective straps with high visibility to ensure your dog’s safety. Plus, a handle for looping seat belts through while riding in the car.
- No-pull design also prevents choking and strain on the neck. Pulling pressure is evenly distributed.
- Adjustable chest belt for the perfect fit. Quick snap buckles for easy on and off. 2 sturdy metal leash attachment points on the back and the chest.
|Size||Neck Girth||Chest Girth|
|Small||13 - 19''||13 - 24''|
|Medium||16 - 22''||15 - 28''|
|Large||18 - 26''||17 - 34''|
|X-Large||23 - 35''||21 - 38''|
How to Use a Dog Harnesses
When you first look at a dog harness, it may look like a complicated mess of straps and buckles. Is it upside down? Is it backwards? No worries, it’s actually pretty simple to use once you get the hang of it. Follow these quick and easy steps!
- Unbuckle the harness and lay it on the ground.
- Coax your dog to stand over the harness.
- Place one front paw in each loop.
- Lift the harness and click the buckle(s) together over your dog’s back.
Step-in harnesses are pretty simple to use and great for dogs with body sensitivity.
- Slip the neck piece over your dog’s head.
- Pull the bottom straps down below your dog’s belly. Then pull the top straps over his back.
- Click the buckles together.
Adjust the straps accordingly so that you can snuggly fit two fingers under each strap. They should be secure but not constricting.
These are the two most common types of harnesses on the market. Both are quite effective, so it’s more a matter of personal preference for you and your dog. If your dog is body sensitive, he may need the step-in harness or one that only has 1 buckle.
Are you already a buyer of a small dog harness? What style do you like best? What is your reason for choosing that style of harness?
We would love to read your feedback! Thanks for reading our guide to small dog harnesses! We hope you found the best option for your pup!