- History of Zignature Dog Food Brand
- Where the Food is Manufactured
- Ingredient Information
- Zignature Dog Food Recalls
- Zignature Dog Food Formulas
- Zignature Dog Food Ingredients:
- Label and Website
- Overall Brand Rating: Zignature 4.5
- Final Thoughts
Zignature is a protein-focused, unique carbohydrate diet, marketed towards dogs with food allergies and sensitivities. Zignature’s goal is to create the world’s safest dog food that is both nutritionally strong and aid in promoting a happy, healthy life. They pride themselves on only using quality ingredients and staying informed on the latest nutritional information available.
History of Zignature Dog Food Brand
Zignature is part of the larger company, Pets Global, which is a holistic pet health company. Pets Global is an independently owned business focused on producing high quality, physiologically appropriate formulas that meet if not exceed AAFCO recommendations.
Zignature dog food was inspired by Ziggy, a Boxer, who suffered from food allergies and intolerances. Luckily, his owner and best friend, Daniel Hereford, just happened to be the President of Global Foods. Hereford was determined to find or create a food that would meet all of Ziggy’s dietary restrictions, yet still provide a balanced diet.
Knowing that Ziggy was one of many dogs who suffered from food-related issues, Hereford decided to create a line of dog foods geared explicitly towards dogs with severe food allergies and intolerances. So, in 2012 Zignature was introduced to the dog food market. Now eight years later, Zignature is available in over 8,000 stores worldwide.
Where the Food is Manufactured
We are all aware that it is essential to know where our dog’s food is manufactured to ensure the proper safety and food regulations are being implemented. And though Zignature is considered a high-end brand, it is still vital to do the research and find out where the food is produced.
Zignature headquartered in Valencia, California, manufactures their dry food in Perham, Minnesota, and their canned food in Mitchell South Dakota.
In addition to knowing where our pet’s food is made, it is equally critical to know where the ingredients are sourced. Zignature states clearly where all of the dog food ingredients originate. Below is a list showing where some of their main ingredients are from:
- Trout, Salmon, and Whitefish from the Pacific Northwest Region
- Catfish from the Southwestern region of the US
- Turkey and Pork from the Midwest area in the US
- Lamb and Venison from New Zealand
- Duck and Guinea Fowl from Western France
- Kangaroo and Goat from Australia
- Vegetables and Fruits from North America (season dependent)
- Minerals and Vitamins from North America and France
Zignature is a grain and potato-free food. However, because carbohydrates are still a vital part of your dog’s diet, they do include low-glycemic carbohydrate sources such as:
- Pea Flour
Though it is critical to know what is in the food, it is also vital to understand what isn’t included in the recipe. Below are some of the ingredients they have omitted:
- Artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Grains like Wheat, Corn, or Rice
- Chicken or Chicken by-products
- Chicken Eggs
All of the different dog food recipes’ primary focus is protein, so all of their foods have either an animal or fish protein for the first ingredient followed by an animal or fish meal for the second ingredient.
Zignature Dog Food Recalls
Though Zignature has not been associated with any recalls, they are named on the FDA’s list of 16 dog foods most commonly linked to the increase in diet associated DCM. At this time, the FDA states that they are currently investigating the causes of DCM, as it regards to grain-free foods. They are now unsure if the cause of the diet-induced DCM is due to the lack of grains, the grain replacement ingredients, or a combination of factors.
However, according to Zignature’s statement on June 28th, 2019, in response to being listed on the June 27th FDA report, they state that they have always enhanced their food with taurine and L- Carnitine. Both taurine and L- Carnitine is associated with aiding in promoting stronger cardiovascular health.
Zignature Dog Food Formulas
There are thirteen main formulas. Each main recipe includes dry dog food, canned dog food, and Ziggy Bars (dog treat) associated with it. The protein options are as follows:
- Trout and Salmon Meal
- Guinea Fowl
- Zssential – Combination of proteins Turkey, Duck, Lamb, and Salmon
Additionally, Zignature makes five of their formulas in small bites for small breeds:
- Trout and Salmon Meal
Top 6 Zignature Dry Dog Formulas
- Zignature Turkey Formula Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Pork Formula Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Duck Formula Dog Food
- Zignature Goat Formula Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Trout and Salmon Meal Formula Dry Dog Food
- Zignature Kangaroo Formula Dog Food
- Zignature Lamb Formula Dry Dog Food
Zignature Dog Food Ingredients:
Turkey and Turkey Meal: The first two ingredients in this formula. Both of which are an excellent source of lean protein.
4 oz of turkey contains 32 grams of protein
Peas and Chickpeas: The next two ingredients are chickpeas and peas, the primary source of carbohydrates in the turkey formula. These low glycemic carbohydrates provide a steady source of energy.
- Peas 68 Grams and 28.9 grams of protein per 4 ounces
- Chickpeas 32 Grams and 12 grams of protein in 4 ounces.
Sunflower Oil: The 5th ingredient is an excellent source of omega-6 fatty acids. Sunflower oil is also rich in oleic acid, which aids in reducing inflammation, and there might be links to positive effects on cells associated with cancer.
Flaxseed: Flaxseed is rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids. Additionally, flaxseed contains a significant amount of Lignans, a plant compound that is associated with reducing the risk of cancer. Also, flaxseed contains both soluble and insoluble fiber, both of which are important to maintain a healthy digestive system.
The following next ingredients, besides natural flavors, are various vitamins and nutrients needed to create a nutritionally balanced dog food.
Label and Website
Another important factor to consider is the AAFCO’s guidelines on how to best choose a dog food. The AAFCO encourages pet owners to check the label or company website for the following:
- Life stage appropriateness for the food – Dog foods should be nutritionally balanced for the different needs of dogs during their various life stages. For example, puppies require different nutrients, vitamins, fats, fiber, and protein than an adult or senior dog. Here’s how Zignature did:
- All of their foods are listed as “All life stages, including the growth of large size dogs.”
- Nutritional adequacy statement – This is a statement that means the food meets all of the AAFCO guidelines for providing a nutritionally balanced diet. Below is what Zignature states:
- “Zignature® recipes are formulated to meet all the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.”
- Who creates their recipes – There is no law that states that a veterinarian or food scientist create the recipes. So, the AAFCO recommends making sure the company uses food scientists, vets, or certified nutritionists to formulate their foods, here’s who comes up with Zignature’s formulas.
- The Zignature website states that the food is formulated by nutritionists and food scientists
- Find out where the food is both produced and where the ingredients originate from, Zignature’s website and labels show:
- The website says that the food is produced in the Midwest. Both the website and the label show where all of the ingredients are sourced.
- Recipe Name: The name on the label will indicate the percentage of that ingredient in the food. Zignature’s Recipe Names:
Zignature’s recipes are all, except for Zssential, named based on the protein, i.e., Turkey Formula which indicates that Turkey makes up at least 70% of the total product.
Zignature dog food is not available at large retail pet supply stores. However, it is sold at pet specialty stores, such as boutiques and dog daycares. Also, Zignature is available online at Amazon and Chewy.com.
The average price for a 27-pound bag of dog food is $61.98 or $3.87/ pound. And though that is not the most expensive brand on the market, it is cost-prohibitive to some. But, it is essential to state that the price is a good value, since the ingredients used are sourced from reliable areas with high standards, plus unique proteins are often more costly.
Overall Brand Rating: Zignature 4.5
The uniqueness of the ingredients and the locations they are sourced are all factors that would give Zignature a 5 rating. However due to the lack of grains and its current tie to a possible connection to DCM, it lost a ½ of a point.
Zignature has never had any recalls and they only use premium quality ingredients.
Though Zignature isn’t the most expensive neither are they the cheapest. The price is equal to the quality of the ingredients, but it is expensive enough to be cost-prohibitive for some dog parents.
Protein Content: 5.o
All of their formulas are protein forward and are perfect for aiding dogs in the building and retaining strong muscles. Also, they offer one of the largest varieties of unique proteins compared to other dog good brands.
The protein varieties available are above and beyond what can be found with most other brands. For dogs with allergies they multiple foods to choose from.
Hands down Zignature sources and produces high-quality grain-free food. They have done their research to ensure the food meets if not exceeds AAFCO nutritional guidelines and undoubtedly created a premium dog food.
Unfortunately, until the FDA’s findings are announced, a shadow remains over Zignature due to its possible link in the increase of DCM cases. Every dog parent needs to make a decision they feel right about regarding the dog good they feed their pup. Feeding Zignature is neither right nor wrong; it truly comes down to what works best for you and your canine.